Monday, May 6, 2013

Shine your sink, ladies!!!

So my goal for today was to actually shine my sink...guess what? I did it! And let me tell you, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders ;o) Now each time the kids do the dishes all they have to do is wipe it out to dry it when they are done and my sink will stay shiny forever! Okay, maybe not forever but you get the idea.

So now I'm going to share each step that I did...
Materials that you will need:
Household Bleach

1/2 cup

Vinegar & Baking Soda

Butter knife

Glass Cleaner of your choice (I use Windex)

REMEMBER: Drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated
 
Step 1: Remove all dishes from the sink. For this step I emptied my dishwasher and then reloaded it. And of course I started it ;o) Tonight, after dinner my daughter will unload it and refill it with whatever dinner dishes we may have...it won't be much because we are eating TV dinners, but hey, at least my sink will be empty, dry and shiny!
My empty, dirty sink
 
Step 2: Run very hot water in the sink and fill to the rim (be careful because I almost burnt myself). Add 1 cup household bleach (I added 1/2 a cup when the sink was 1/2 full and another 1/2 cup when it was full). Let sit for 1 hour.
(If you have a double-sided sink like I do, only do one side at a time.)
Now at this point, if you're feeling adventurous, you could start cleaning something else but for me...I'm pregnant and tired quite a bit of time so I sat down and crocheted.
When your hour is up, pull the plug with tongs or gloved hands (I used the tongs we use for grilling) being careful not to get it on your skin or clothes.
After this side drained I filled my second side so it could soak while I did the next steps.
My sink filled with bleach water
 
Step 3: Rinse your sink very well! You don't want to mix cleansers because it could cause toxic gas...so make sure it is really rinsed well. Dry your sink out with a clean, dry towel.
Step 4: With baking soda, scrub sink.
I personally made a paste with vinegar and baking soda, dipped my sponge in, and scrubbed all around the inside of my sink.
Step 5: Repeat step 3
Step 6: *This is not one of the 
FlyLady's steps* I took a recipe from eHow and cleaned out my drain. All it takes is 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda. You put 1/2 cup baking soda down your drain then add 1/2 cup vinegar. IT WILL FOAM!!! It's going to kinda be like a volcano but don't worry it'll go down after a few seconds. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Sink #1 empty and dry, Sink #2 soaking in bleach water
 
Step 7: While your drain is soaking, take a butter knife and clean around the rim of your sink.
Before I took a knife to the edge of my sink...sorry it's a little blurry.

After I was done with the butter knife
 
Step 8: Once your 15 minutes are up, repeat step 3 ;o)
Step 9: Make another paste with your vinegar and baking soda and with an old toothbrush, clean around your faucets.
I actually cleaned all of the stuff that wasn't hit by the bleach water at this point. The whole rim of the sink, that is.
Step 10: With clean towel, rinse off your faucets and wipe dry.
Step 11: With glass cleaner of your choice, shine your sink. Don't forget to include as far down in your drain hole you can reach and all handles/faucets.
Step 12: Repeat step 3!
And you're done! Now you can just keep up with daily maintenance and it'll stay shiny. Don't forget that each time you run water in it, you use a dry, clean towel to dry it out when you're done.
My nice clean shiny sink!!!
 
Do you have any ways that you have used for years, or that are even new to you, that you would like to share?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment